Proverbs 3:5-6

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him and he will make your paths straight."

Saturday, January 14, 2012

Trust Fall

I have read through the first week of "Trusting God."  I just didn't have anything to say at the time about the last three days.  I am trying to catch up now.  At the time, I thought, what does it mean to have a trust fall with God?  I have heard of the trust fall exercise, but didn't understand what it would look like being played out with God.  Now that I have had time to think on it, I think it has to do with giving up control and allowing God to lead my life.  Rather than worrying over details or how to work out something, God wants me to let go of control and surrender it all to Him.  When I let go, He is able to go into action and achieve something far greater than I could on my own.  The bible says God cares about the things that concern me.  Nothing is too small for God to care about.  By surrendering all that concerns me to God, I am free.  Free to focus on what and who God has placed before me.

The trust fall goes beyond God.  I believe that I can do the trust fall with everyone in my life.  I have built up a wall around me, not allowing people to get too close.  If they get too close, I might get hurt.  Just like I did in the past.  It's easier to keep people at a distance.  But, now I am longing for a closeness with other people.  I long for closer friendships.  Not just superficial relationships.  But that means letting down my walls and exposing the vulnerable parts of me.  It means being real-about the good and not so good.  It is scary and is not easy.  But it is what I want and know that God will help me.  As I surrender this to God, He will enable me to open up more with others.  I believe we do a diservice to ourselves by not having close friendships.  We are not meant to walk this road of life alone.

I believe that there are people who are afraid to go to church because they feel that they are not good enough.  That they need to clean up their act before they can go.  It's a lie, though.  Jesus did not come into the world to condemn it, but to heal.  We are healed by being in relationships with others. 

I also believe that there are many people in the church who wear masks, not wanting to expose their realness.  I feel that the world is so hard that the church should be a safe place where people can take off their masks and be real.  We should be an encouragement to others rather than focused on our own concerns.

This all said, I encourage you to take a risk like me to be real with people.  We all have our imperfections.  Instead of hiding them, expose them to the light.  I think that is what the trust fall is all about-letting go of things to God and being real with the people in our lives.

1 comment:

  1. Ann I will be thinking of you and praying for you! I so understand. Trusting God is about letting him have complete control. Being real is so necessary.

    ReplyDelete