Proverbs 3:5-6

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him and he will make your paths straight."

Saturday, January 7, 2012

Bailing on God

Day one of "Trusting God" is about bailing on God.  Mary Sutherland tells the story of how her granddaughter and son play a game called "Bail."  The son holds his daughter tightly to him in his arms while she lets go, falling backwards and swinging between his firmly planted feet.  According to Mary, it is like a toddler's version of bungee jumping.  She tells the story to give a picture of how we can bail on God. 

I am a control freak, but the idea of bailing on God sounds appealing.  I don't know exactly how it would look or play out in my life, but would like to take steps in that direction.  As God directs, I want to take small steps in bailing in His strong arms and allow Him to catch me.  As I do, He will not allow me to get hurt.

I am thinking about where I need to bail on God, where I can let His will and control reign.  As I think, I ponder whether my desire for control is actually keeping me from claiming the things I want and desire for my life.  Things God would gladly give me if only I would bail.  Things from my past that hurt me still today, for example.  I dwell on things that I want to see changed, thinking I can somehow make the changes.  But only God can see the whole picture, why I am where I am and how to get me to where He wants me to be.  Only He knows the depths of my hurts and how to handle them.  Only He knows how fast  I can move towards change.  His timing is perfect.

So, what would it look like if I bailed on God?  I would give up my control and allow God to control and direct.  I wouldn't feel guilty about who I am right now or where I came from.  God knows who He wants me to become.  Only He can get me to that place.  In the meantime, as I surrender control, I can enjoy the journey.  I can focus on the here and now and what is in front of me.  I don't need to look down the road to where I want to be or feel I should be.  I'm ok right where I am.  It's a little scary living with that perspective, but think that is what God is calling me to do as I bail on Him.  Then He can work out His will.

Where do you need to bail on God and what would it look like?

No comments:

Post a Comment