Proverbs 3:5-6

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him and he will make your paths straight."

Saturday, January 21, 2012

I reread 2 Corinthians 4:7-9 which was quoted in Chapter two.  While I have read the passage before, I took something away this time. 

"But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us.  We are hard-pressed on every side, but not crushed;  perplexed, but not in despair;  persecuted, but not abandoned;  struck down, but not destroyed."

What I took away from reading this passage is, while I will have struggles this side of heaven, they don't need to define me.  Instead of questioning why this must happen or what did I do wrong to have this circumstance or make it go away so that I can enjoy an easy life, I can embrace the moment.  The moment is as it is.  I can sit right in the middle of the messiness of the situation and be at peace.  I do not need to be perfect.  It's ok to make mistakes and have hard days.  It's ok to face the rollercoaster ride of emotions within me and know that I am ok.  Because what I face and endure does not have the power over me or the last word.  The situation will not do me in.  And I don't need to feel bad if I don't react to life the way I would like.  I may have been struck down, but I am not destroyed.  I may be hard pressed but I am not crushed.  I may be perplexed about what is happening to me and how I should handle it, but I am not in despair.  I can get back up and get back into life.  And I don't have to do it alone because we as believers have a power within us that is far greater.  And that power will help us face and deal with whatever comes our way.  No matter how I feel or anyone else may feel, God will never abandon us.  He knows how we are made and loves us anyway.  He knows we can't live this life on our own or in our own strength.  He knows the troubles of this world and how they get us down.  And He promises to be with us and fight for us.  We just need to ask and fall back into His loving arms.  He will help us all the time.

The truths in this passage really spoke to me today and for the first time, I feel like I am turning a corner regarding trusting God.  This is because for the first time since claiming my faith as my own, I have a hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment